POLICIES AND PROCEDURES
We, the dancers and staff of Mathis Dance Studios are a vibrant community of people who have a high regard for each other, the art of dance and the respectability and value of the work we do. All who participate are requested to demonstrate the willingness to be held accountable to uphold the values and ethics we declare as the fundamental guidelines stated below. In all of our endeavours to learn, perform and compete as an expression of our love of dance, we show respect to the parents, students, and staff of Mathis and all of the wider dance community, including our competition. As dancers & athletes we consider it a privilege to participate in a community for the performing art of dance exemplifying the values of integrity, character, leadership, responsibility and professionalism.
For our dancers we wish to foster a lifetime love of dance with team spirit and perseverance for all.
- All members must clean up after themselves. Change areas and amenities are to be kept clean and tidy. Bags are to be stored in the pigeon holes provided and under wall seating. Food is only to be consumed in the kitchen and student change area. Please be aware that only recyclable items are to go in recycle bins (green) and rubbish goes in the rubbish bins (purple). These are clearly labelled.
- There is to be no running or acrobatics in waiting areas. Siblings must be supervised at all times.
- We are a smoke free environment so please don’t smoke in or around the property.
- There is to be no gum or foods i.e. noodles requiring boiling water at our studios. Drinks must be in sealed containers only.
- No food or drink (excluding water) in a sealed container is allowed into the studios. This includes all attending watching day.
- All mobile phones must be switched off whilst in class.
- Students are responsible for their own property. We will not be responsible for lost or stolen items.
- Lost property is found in the student change area and is emptied at the end of every term. Please check for lost items. Ensure all dance clothing & shoes are labelled.
- Please do not use spray deodorants inside the change area. Please use outside or bring roll on deodorant. Some students are allergic to sprays which can cause breathing problems.
- Parking must only be in the bays provided inside the car park. Do not park in the staff car parks or disabled car park.
- We have a drop off area in the car park and it is only for this purpose. Do not park in this area and wait.
- All students must remain inside the studio until they are collected by their parents or a responsible adult. This is for the safety of all students and must be adhered to.
- Appropriate clothing must be worn over dance uniform to leave the building and no dance shoes may be worn outside.
- No member is permitted to record or take photographs at our studios without permission from the director or teacher/coach.
- Parents are not permitted to view class unless given special permission. This allows the students to concentrate on their class work.
- We provide an Open week at the last class of each term and an Annual concert for parents to see their child’s progress and encourage them to attend both of these events. Parents are welcome to wait in reception. Parents at open days must supervise siblings who need to remain seated and all must watch quietly.
- Students are not permitted to bring friends to classes or rehearsals.
- Communication pockets and notice boards must be checked whenever you are at the studio. Check the website regularly for dates and information.
- Students need to practice to improve their skills especially when exams, competitions or shows are approaching.
- Private lessons are offered during school holidays.
- Consistent practice is required at home each week to achieve and maintain flexibility.
Members Behaviour Policy
- All students are expected to show consideration and respect to all teachers & coaches in the school and also to each other. This will ensure a happy and pleasant environment for everyone.
- All students must conduct themselves with honesty and courtesy and show consideration to all teachers and coaches, fellow students, parents and staff.
- Students need to remember they are a role model for other students and show leadership by setting an example through their actions and speech. They need to embrace the dance family rules.
- All students need to take responsibility for adhering to the rules of our studios. To bring up concerns with the appropriate person and be willing to receive direction and coaching as appropriate.
- All students need to represent a high level of integrity and avoid gossip, criticism or disparaging comments about fellow students, teachers & coaches or others involved in our studios. Have the willingness to face issues and concerns with maturity and dignity.
- Be committed to giving 100% at all times.
- Parents will be notified if student behaviour becomes unacceptable.
- Ballet uniform must be worn to all exam classes. Appropriate colour leotard with matching skirt. Tights must be worn by all students Grade 3 & over. On extremely hot days the teachers will approve no tights for older students and shorts may be worn under skirts. Coloured dance wear may be worn in other classes.
- Correct foot wear must be worn at all times. Only dance shoes are to be worn in the studios by students.
- Garments must be clean and washed without holes in them and appropriate for dance.
- Hair must be worn in a bun for all dance classes with hair off the face.
- No jewellery is to be worn in class at all. Small ear studs are allowed.
- To enrol at our studio a parent/guardian and student must read and agree to our policies and procedures.
- An enrolment form with photography permission must then be completed and handed to reception. Fees will then be charged accordingly. Most terms are 10 weeks closely following school terms.
- Students will be put enrolled into suitable classes according to age and experience and this is determined by a qualified dance teacher or coach.
- Enrolment is for an entire term. Cancellation must be made in writing to firstname.lastname@example.org or handed to reception. No refunds are given for term fees paid in advance. Two weeks’ notice is required.
- The studio must be contacted if a student will be absent from class for any reason.
- Enrolment information must be updated at reception if it changes. This includes your email address and mobile phone numbers.
- Fees are payable on or before the first class of the term. If payments are not made in advance or prior to the commencement of class, your child will may not be able to participate in class until all monies due are paid in full.
- Payments can be made by direct debit or at reception by EFT. No cash payments are accepted.
- Overdue accounts with the exception of those with payment schedules will be charged an additional 10% if not paid within two weeks of the start of term. This fee will also be added to the whole account if scheduled payments aren’t met.
- If parents have difficulty paying fees, please email email@example.com or hand a note to reception to discuss financial arrangements prior to due payments.
- No refund or credit is given for missed classes (extreme medical conditions considered). Makeup classes are offered at a similar standard or style if the same class is not available as long as there is space in the class.
- There are no refunds for concert fees once costumes are organised.
Query & Complaint Procedures
- We appreciate sometimes parents need to talk to teachers & coaches about their children but this may not be during class time. Please make a time outside class time when the teachers & coaches are free.
- If your query about your child is lengthy or of a private nature please arrange to make an appointment with Jen & your teacher/coach. Requests can be made in writing to reception or by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org or phone the studio. Please advise if you need a specific teacher/coach at the meeting.
- If you wish to lodge a complaint about another member of the studio please email or write to email@example.com
- All complaints and queries will be dealt with promptly, seriously and with sensitivity and remain confidential.
- Dancing is an activity where injuries can occur.
- Injuries must be reported to the teacher or coach by the students. This is important to be aware they have hurt themselves.
- When an injury occurs at our studio we will complete an injury record for the parent. Depending on the severity of the injury we do expect the parent to take the student to a physiotherapist or appropriate medical practitioner of choice.
- Students who have been injured must present a clearance report from their practitioner stating they are able to return to classes. If the injury is ongoing we must receive reports regularly so we are aware of the restrictions placed on the student.
- We are not liable for personal injuries.
Social Media Policy
- This is to clearly define our expectations and guidelines for members engaging in social media that relates to its studio or members.
- You must be clear and ensure any information is factual and accurate.
- Any information must respect individuals and the studio.
- Information must not damage in any way the studios or members reputations or bring disrepute.
Hot Weather Policy
- Classes will not be run if the temperature reaches 38 degrees to ensure the safety of the students. This will be determined by the Bureau of Meteorology.
- Once the temperature reaches 38 degrees we will confirm this on the websites and on our Facebook page. You may collect students immediately. Staff will not leave students unattended on these days.
- There are no refunds for cancelled classes on hot weather days. Makeup classes may be done at a similar standard or style. This needs to be organised through reception.
- Please ensure that students bring their water bottles in hot weather and bring a small flannel they can wet and use to cool down.
- Classes on hot weather days are adjusted to accommodate the heat.